question about native MS support -- creating .pdb files during configure

From: David Byron
Subject: question about native MS support -- creating .pdb files during configure
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:13:41 -0800

This is probably just one of a zillion things that make supporting native MS
tools in autoconf hard, but there's a small chance this is either easy or
someone has already solved it so I'm posting about it....

I'm using automake 1.10, autoconf 2.61, and a heavily modified cccl based on
version 0.3.  My mods aren't related here though...I'm using MS Visual
Studio .NET, which has cl version 13.00.9466.

As part of the AC_PROG_CC macro, configure tests to see if the C compiler
supports -g.  cccl translates -g on its command line to /Zi on the Microsoft
cl command line.  cl in return generates vc70.pdb.

I'm trying to figure out where the right place is to delete vc70.pdb.  Seems
like autoconf should put that logic into the configure script.  I'm curious
what other people think.

Thanks much for dealing with yet another message from me...on a topic that
may not be the most exciting.

-DB