Re: as_func_failure succeeds on FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.2

From: Benoit SIGOURE
Subject: Re: as_func_failure succeeds on FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.2
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:55:36 +0200

On Aug 25, 2007, at 8:28 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Hello Benoit,

* Benoit SIGOURE wrote on Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 06:53:45PM CEST:
For the records, with a stock FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.2 (and thus, stock /
bin/sh) I get the following:

as_func_failure succeeded.
as_func_failure succeeded.

Which zsh version?  Could you add
  set -x

as second line of the configure script, run it, and post the complete
output (packed with bzip2 or gzip), please?  Thanks.

Simple invocation of ./configure:
http://www.tsunanet.net/~tsuna/configure.log-zsh_4.2.6_i386-portbld- freebsd5.5
Invocation of CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/sh ./configure:
http://www.tsunanet.net/~tsuna/configure.log-bin_sh_freebsd5.5

I don't know how configure looks for a shell that supports functions
but I know that I have at least ZSH installed (/usr/local/bin/zsh)
and in my $PATH so it's weird that configure doesn't find (at least)
this shell.

configure searches $PATH.  I think it's some zsh version that provokes
the above warning, at least that's where I've seen it before.

You're right, it's ZSH 4.2.6 that is buggy on FreeBSD! This must be a FreeBSD specific issue because I also use ZSH 4.2.6 on my Mac and never ran into this problem.

AFAICS /bin/sh is rejected due to $LINENO.

No, it looks like configure picked up ZSH before trying to test /bin/ sh (which seems to be work fine:
+ as_lineno_1=429
+ as_lineno_2=430
+ test x429 != x430
+ expr 429 + 1
+ test x430 = x430
and doesn't have b0rken shell functions)

With zsh 4.2.6 (i386-portbld-freebsd5.5):
$ f() { (exit 1); echo $?; (exit 1); return $?; }; f; echo $?
0
0
$ f() { false; return $?; }; f; echo $?
1
$ (exit 1); echo $?;
1

So it looks like there's something b0rken with subshells in shell functions.

Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory