seeking advice for a modular build system

From: Hans-Christoph Steiner
Subject: seeking advice for a modular build system
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:02:53 -0400

Hey all,

I am starting the process of creating an autotools build system for Pd-extended, a large distro of a program called Pure Data and many libraries. Pure Data is a realtime visual programming language for sound, video, etc. Over the years, there have been quite a few libraries written for it. Currently, I have a big hacked Makefile that builds all of the libraries. I would like to replace this with an autotools system.

One thing that I would love to have is flags to ./configure to enable/ disable the inclusion of different libraries. The libraries are currently in subdirs named with the library name. I am wondering how to best to that with autotools.

Another thing, each of the libraries are made up of one .so/.dylib/.dll for each objectclass. I am wondering what the best method for having separate CFLAGS and LDFLAGS for each library. I want to do that in case different libraries depend on different versions of the same lib. Perhaps I need some kind of recursive ./ configure system.

Thanks in advance!

.hc

                  ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!