Re: aclocal or acinclude?

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: aclocal or acinclude?
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:40:57 -0500

Tim Dennis wrote:
> Hi John,
>
>> In the autoconf manual in Chapter 3, page 5 it states:
>>
>> ... If you write your own feature tests to supplement those that come
>> with Autoconf, you might also write files called ‘aclocal.m4’ and
>> ‘acsite.m4’...
>>
>> I understand acsite.m4, but I thought aclocal.m4 was *generated* by the
>> aclocal program, not written by the user. I was under the impression
>> that you were supposed to write project-specific macro in a file called
>> acinclude.m4 (which the manual doesn't mention at all).
>
> I was recently puzzling over this very question myself. In the end I just
> created acsite.m4 and put the macro there. It seemed to work fine for me,
> but more experienced users likely will have a better answer.

It all depends on if you are using autoconf in combination with automake
or not. If you use automake, or use its aclocal to generate aclocal.m4,
then you can put your own macros in acinclude.m4. The aclocal program
will m4_include acinclude.m4 at the end of the generated aclocal.m4.

autoconf itself knows nothing about acinclude.m4.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman
http://pogma.com