How to tell autoconf not to try and run programs

From: Christopher Hulbert
Subject: How to tell autoconf not to try and run programs
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 08:46:21 -0400

If the configure variable cross_compiling=yes, autoconf does not try
to run compiler-generated programs, at least the one to see if the
compiler works. Now I don't think I'm technically cross-compiling, but
I would like a way to tell AC_PROG_CC to not try and run the generated
executable. The problem is compiling with a compiler that
automatically links in MPI libraries on HPC's that REQUIRE jobs to be
submitted through a queue system (in this case LSF). If I manually
edit my configure script and set cross_compiling=yes, I can build and
install the package and run the programs through the queue system.

So, is there a cleaner way than setting cross_compiling=yes to get
that functionality. If not, can I simply set cross_compiling inside a
test in configure.ac?

Thanks,
Chris