Re: posh and Autoconf

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: posh and Autoconf
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 18:04:11 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

> I upgraded my posh to the latest version in Debian before the report,
> from 0.5.4 to 0.6.4, to ensure the bug wasn't fixed already.  To my
> surprise, the newer posh now fails to run configure and config.status
> scripts because it requires that 'trap' and 'kill' use symbolic signal
> names.  "Interesting", a shell that explicitly forbids an XSI extension,
> apparently on purpose.

I believe posh was explicitly written as a POSIX compliance test suite for
shell scripts, and hence doesn't implement any extensions other than those
so ubiquitous that they're de facto standards.  There's discussion right
now about whether numeric signals fall into that category (one problem is
that only a limited set of those numbers are portable, since signal
numbers are not the same in different versions of UNIX, although I believe
the XSI extension spells out which ones are portable).

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>