Re: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS and pkg-config

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS and pkg-config
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 09:41:19 +0200

Hello Richard,

* Richard Ash wrote on Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:31:39PM CEST:
> I seem to have hit a fundamental problem with the way AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS
> that seems to make it most of the way to useless if you want to also use
> pkg-config. Basically, it runs the configure scripts in sub-directories
> after my main configure script has finished, which is useless because I
> want information from those subsidiary configure script to decide how to
> build my application.

Why don't you organize your package in such a way that the top level
configure is just a stub one calling those for lib1, lib2, ..., libN,
and only then the one for your main package?

If you are concerned about needing to reorganize a lot, it would
probably even suffice to just have another set of configure.ac and
configure files in a subdirectory; and adjust the paths to the config
files and config headers etc. therein.

Hope that helps.