biarch and funny target names cause cross-tool detection warning

From: Jay
Subject: biarch and funny target names cause cross-tool detection warning
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:19:53 +0000

  configure: WARNING: In the future, Autoconf will not detect cross-tools
  whose name does not start with the host triplet.  If you think this
  configuration is useful to you, please write to address@hidden
  checking build system type... sparc64-unknown-openbsd4.3
  checking host system type... none-unknown-openbsd4.3

I'm not sure why I get this here.
I'm using the stock gcc 4.3 tree plus some of the patches from the OpenBSD port,
plus a somewhat complicated configure command line and cd'ing around and
running gmake.
I am using --target=sparc64-openbsd.
I will try --target=sparc64-unknown-openbsd. That's probably the cause.

In particular, see:

http://dcvs.elegosoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/cm3/m3-sys/m3cc/src/boot.py?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain

or more accurately:

http://dcvs.elegosoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/cm3/m3-sys/m3cc/src/m3makefile?rev=1.66;content-type=text%2Fplain

I ALSO get this warning for a case that is understandable, like on an AMD64
Linux machine:

configure CC='gcc -m32 -g' CFLAGS='-g -m32' --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu
make CC='gcc -m32 -g' CFLAGS='-g -m32'

You get the idea -- on an AMD64 "biarch" system, building an x86 gcc.
Perhaps I should use "linux32" for this, but I didn't know about it at the time.

PERHAPS if the architectures involved are the two architectures in a valid
biarch, allow that?
The funny platform name problem, if that's what it is, not your problem.

 - Jay