Re: AC_TYPE_SIGNAL obsolete?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: AC_TYPE_SIGNAL obsolete?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 00:36:07 -0700

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:

> I recall having to deal with this
> issue on fairly recent systems in the 1996-98 timeframe so 'int'
> didn't just go away because ANSI C said so.

Yes, absolutely; it took quite some time for those old systems to die
off.  But they have been dead for at least a decade.  It's time to
move on.

> I am saddened that it seems that Paul has gone to the dark side  ...

When the majority of bug reports about a feature X are from
maintainers of computer museums, then the feature is no longer of
practical interest.  Signal handlers returning 'int' long ago went
into the computer-museum category.

Here's another, slightly less-conservative rule that I find useful:
when the original supplier of an operating system version no longer
supports that version, then we don't need to support it either.  For
example, we no longer need to support Solaris 2.6 and earlier, we can
stop supporting Solaris 7 on August 15, and we can stop supporting
Solaris 8 on March 31, 2012. See
<http://www.sun.com/service/eosl/solaris/solaris_vintage_eol_5.2005.xml>.