Obeying users CFLAGS

From: Tim Post
Subject: Obeying users CFLAGS
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:53:29 +0800

Hello,

I have noticed that if the CFLAGS environment is not set, @CFLAGS@ is
expanded to -g -O2 Is this expected behavior?

Also, I see that AC_PROG_CXX ensures that the compiler actually works,
but AC_PROG_CC doesn't seem to do this. Is there a default macro to
ensure that gcc actually works with the given CFLAGS setting? I'd like
to be sure that flags I set don't conflict with whatever happens to be
in CFLAGS.

I check that 'main' works in shared libs, so the configuration process
does halt if flags conflict .. however this leaves the user thinking
that something is wrong with the libary.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
--Tim