Re: pkgconfig question

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: pkgconfig question
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 14:17:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, John Calcote wrote:

I'm interested in finding out more about the pkgconfig project --
specifically, how well it's received by the Autotools community.

Pkgconfig is usually a good thing but sometimes it becomes a curse due to removing control from the user. For example, evaluation of multiple pkgconfigs is usually in some arbitrary order in the configure script but one of them might refer to an include/library directory which is also home of a package (perhaps an older verion) that the user does not want to use. This has struck me a number of times and it is impossible to fix without manually editing the configure script or even operating system directories.

It is the modern variation of "DLL hell".

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn