Re: Platform-specific AC_ARG_*

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: Platform-specific AC_ARG_*
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:31:17 +0000

John wrote:
> For example, on Solaris SPARC hosts, you can target sparc-generic code,
> if you wish, but it makes no sense to even see an option,
> --enable-sparc-generic on an Intel Linux box.

It makes sense if you are cross-compiling.

As I recall, the recommended behavior is to ignore unknown --with[out]-*
and --[dis]enable-* flags, as a top-level configure script may be
calling more than one subordinate configure scripts.

But either way has some suckage, IMO.

I'd be inclined to leave it "visible" just for educational purposes, as
people often build packages on different platforms.

And there are times I squawk about "insane" flags and times I just
ignore them.