Re: Why AC_C_CHAR_UNSIGNED?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Why AC_C_CHAR_UNSIGNED?
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:05:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
That assumes you have a correct limits.h on the system, which is an
assumption you can't necessarily make on an old enough system.

Do you have any specific examples here, found outside of a museum?
Current Autoconf more or less tells users to assume C89 for new
programs, and limits.h exists in a free-standing implementation, too.

My own software does not currently depend on limits.h but tests I did separately on many types of systems (including several 12 year old ones) with a program which specifically exercises limits.h (including 'char') did not encounter any problems.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn