Re: document how to create universal binaries

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: document how to create universal binaries
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:59:30 +1000

Bruno Haible wrote:

> On MacOS X 10.5, most system-provided binaries and libraries are "fat" or
> "universal": they can be executed on all architectures of MacOS X 10.5.

This was Apple's marketing solution to a technical problem.

> Given the section "Compiling For Multiple Architectures" from the INSTALL
> file of so many GNU packages, I was under the impression that it was hard
> to build universal binaries for packages that use autoconf. But this is
> actually not the case. Among the 4 packages I tested (libiconv, libsigsegv,
> gettext, gperf), all but one can be built as universal binaries out of the
> box,
> given the appropriate instructions, and the one that did not work (libsigsegv)
> could be made to work in 20 minutes.

The documentation should also state that some packages can't be
compiled as universal binaries without extensive re-working.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a
protected abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor
and when was the last time you needed one?" -- Tom Cargill