Re: make -s, how to make it quiet?

From: 'Ralf Wildenhues'
Subject: Re: make -s, how to make it quiet?
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 19:54:29 +0200

* Joakim Tjernlund wrote on Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 07:39:53PM CEST:
> On Sat, 2008-09-06 at 18:07 +0200, 'Ralf Wildenhues' wrote:
> >
> > Please be more specific.  Post example output for an Automake-using
> > package that you see that you would like to not see.

> OK, here is some output:
>
> #>  make -s oa
[...]
> As you can see the whole compile line is there, it should not be thet
> when using -s to make.

Thanks.  I don't see how this should happen with compile rules generated
by any recent Automake version.  So there is something else going on:
either an ancient version I have no memory over how it worked,
hand-written rules by the package's author, some override of MAKEFLAGS
in the Makefile.am files (could be up the tree somewhere) that drop the
-s flag.  Could be a weird make; is this GNU make?  Which version?