Re: How to stop reconfiguration?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: How to stop reconfiguration?
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 23:29:19 +0200

Hello Václav,

* Václav Haisman wrote on Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 11:08:15PM CEST:
> how can I stop reconfiguration (automatic running of aclocal, automake and
> autoconf)? I have sources including Makefile.in and configure and other
> generated files in Subversion repository. I thought that if I touch each
> foo.in file and the configure script, it will not try to re-run autoreconf.

Workaround: see 'info Automake maintainer-mode'.

Solution: reconfiguration shouldn't happen if all files are up to date.
Just touching them in random order may not help.  It may also be that
the files are out of date due to some other reason (wrong dependencies
or so).  If their reconfiguration does not end up with up to date files
then you could try to investigate (with 'make -d' for example) why
rules get triggered.

Generally, the dependency setup looks like explained in
  info Autoconf "Making configure Scripts"

and with Automake, Makefile.in files depend upon Makefile.am files as
well as dependencies of configure.