Re: AC_PATH_PROG: Using a variable for prog-to-check-for

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: AC_PATH_PROG: Using a variable for prog-to-check-for
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 08:18:06 +0000

Hi Ralf,

Ralf wrote:
> Hi Harlan,
>
> * Harlan Stenn wrote on Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 05:23:41AM CEST:
> > I wrote:
> > >
> > >  PATH_NET_SNMP_CONFIG=whatever
> > >  AC_PATH_PROG([PATH_NET_SNMP_CONFIG], [$PATH_NET_SNMP_CONFIG])
> > >
> > > and that doesn't work (with autoconf 2.59).
>
> What doesn't work with it?  It seems to work fine in a test here (with
> both 2.59 and current).  Maybe there is some other code around it which
> causes the problem (e.g., PATH_NET_SNMP_CONFIG is also a m4 defined
> name, or these two lines are part of an underquoted expansion)?

I went back and tried again and some interesting things happened (the
shells for configure changed from /bin/sh to /bin/bash, and then I
realized I also made another runtime change to help me prepare for n
automated release cycle in 2 hours' time), so I'll take a harder look at
this after I wake up tomorrow.

> > Looks like:
> >
> >  PATH_NET_SNMP_CONFIG=whatever
> >  AC_PATH_PROG([PATH_NET_SNMP_CONFIG], [$[]PATH_NET_SNMP_CONFIG])
> >
> > is the ticket.
>
> FWIW, the only change this quoting gets me is inside of a comment.
> Looking at the diff of the configure scripts may hint you at what
> is different for you.

Yeah, it didn't make sense to me either.

And I typo'd the example I gave - it should have been:

  PROG_NET_SNMP_CONFIG=whatever
  AC_PATH_PROG([PATH_NET_SNMP_CONFIG], [$PROG_NET_SNMP_CONFIG])

and I've been hacking around this configure.ac so much tonight that
there is an excellent chance the original problem I saw was a typo.

I will revisit this if it still bites me in the morning.

Thanks...