Re: RFC: proposed GPLv3 license exception draft

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: RFC: proposed GPLv3 license exception draft
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:00:47 +0000 (UTC)

Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues <at> gmx.de> writes:

> We hope that this new exception will help make Autoconf's licensing a
> little more clear and robust -- if also a little more verbose -- in the
> same way that GPLv3 has done for the entire free software community.  We
> are interested in hearing feedback from Autoconf developers about
> whether there might be intended good uses of the software that are not
> covered by this exception

This text needs to be modified to account for autotest, and perhaps also for
autoupdate/autoscan/autoheader.

> "Eligible Output Material" is Covered Code that is included in the
> standard, minimally verbose, non-debugging and non-tracing output of the
> version of Autoconf distributed to you under this License.  Moreover,
> "Eligible Output Material" may be comprised only of Covered Code that (a)
> must necessarily appear in Autoconf-generated configure scripts and (b) is
> required for those configure scripts to function.

Autotest output should be in the same category as configure scripts - the
intent is that a package can distribute and autotest-based testsuite regardless
of the package's license.  However, the above definition, by specifically
mentioning only 'configure scripts', inadvertantly excludes Autotest output.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how best to alter the wording to make it explicit
that testsuites generated by autom4te --language=autotest are intended to be on
the same footing as configure scripts generated by autom4te --language=autoconf.

Likewise, the output of autoupdate is a configure.ac file, rather than a
configure script.  Does that mean that if a package runs autoupdate that they
must then license configure.ac under GPLv3, or are they still free to license
configure.ac under a license of their choice?  Or can we argue that since the
output of autoupdate is an intermediate file (configure.ac) which in turn is
used to create the final distributed file (configure), that the output of
autoscan is already covered by the existing definition of Eligible Output
Material, and that the license used for configure.ac is not impacted by the use
of autoupdate?

Similar to autoupdate, the output of autoscan is a configure.ac file, and the
output of autoheader is a config.h file, both of which include text copied from
the Covered Code.  Can we argue that these usages are part of the correct
functioning of a configure script, and thus already covered, or do we need to
improve the definition?

Now, for an unrelated question on procedure.  How should we go about placing
the final approved exception text into autoconf source files?  Must the entire
text of the exception occur in every file, or are we permitted to create a new
file COPYING.AUTOCONF alongside COPYING, and for every file where the exception
applies, have a shorter paragraph referring to the central file?  I'm looking
at how gcc recently created COPYING.RUNTIME for their exception clause, and
wondering if the resulting header for each autoconf file requiring the
exception should look like:

# the Free Software Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option)
# any later version.
#
#
# Under Section 7 of GPL version 3, you are granted additional
# permissions described in the Autoconf Exception, version 1.0,
# as published by the Free Software Foundation.
#
# along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

I'm also assuming that the final version of the exception text (which I'm
proposing to place in COPYING.AUTOCONF) will receive mention on
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/exceptions.html, alongside the GCC Runtime
exception.

--
Eric Blake