Re: failure of cross-compilation detection on BlueGene/L

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: failure of cross-compilation detection on BlueGene/L
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 08:29:35 +0200

Hello Christian,

sorry, I saw your mail only after sending my other.

* Christian Rössel wrote on Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 08:19:08AM CEST:

> Note that we are working on some heuristics to detect supercomputer
> platforms like Blue Gene, Cray, NEC etc. that require cross compilation.
> This detection will be available as a macro soon and render it
> unnecessary that the user specifies --host and --build on the supported
> platforms.

Unless those heuristics extend to other platforms as well, we will have
at least a bit of a hard time accepting them into Autoconf proper (if
that's what you're aiming for), because in the long run, even just
enumerating all the cross compilation systems will be a burden for
Autoconf.