Re: failure of cross-compilation detection on BlueGene/L

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: failure of cross-compilation detection on BlueGene/L
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 12:02:33 -0400

Steven G. Johnson wrote:
It matters not as the host alias you pass to --host, but definitely for
macros like those from Libtool which decide things based on $host.  In
the other thread, powerpc-bgp-linux seemed like a sensible thing.  But

This doesn't make sense to me, because the compute nodes (as far as I understand from IBM's papers online) are not running any version of a Linux kernel. See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~beckman/bluegene/SSW-Utah-2005/BGL-SSW03-CNK-CIOD.pdf

Also, the vendor clearly should be "ibm", not "bgp" (and what about BlueGene/L, which runs essentially the same operating system?)

That's why I suggested something like powerpc64-ibm-bluegene, or possibly powerpc64-ibm-bluegene-{version} if a version can be detected and is useful.

Steven