Re: BUILD Rules.mk

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: BUILD Rules.mk
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 08:14:06 +0200

Hello Al,

please don't top-post, thanks.

* dev123 wrote on Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 02:45:52AM CEST:

> Writing a wrapper is more involved than I would like to get, but it is an
> option.

Probably the safest one.

> I tried your second suggestion and I still get the following error in my
> config.log (same as before):
>
> /opt/eldk/usr/bin/mips-linux-ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or
> directory
>
> I double checked my command line linking and this works:
>
> /opt/eldk/usr/bin/mips-linux-ld -L$CROSS_BASE/libs/lib/ -EB -nostdlib
> --whole-archive --emit-relocs main.oo $CROSS_BASE/libs/crt0.o
> -T$CROSS_BASE/build/linker.lds --start-group -lcrt0 -lstdc++ -lc--end-group
> -o program
>
> So why does autoconf think that mips-linux-ld needs crt1.o (I am not
> familiar with crt objects)?

Oh, I tend to forget which parts of the initialization get stuffed into
crt1, but it doesn't really matter either: if the linker deems it
necessary then you should trust it.  So I guess your wrapper should
provide a path for it, too.

Only thing I don't understand is why doesn't your compiler driver
already do all the work of this proposed wrapper ...