Re: What IDEs support autoconf-based projects ?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: What IDEs support autoconf-based projects ?
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:38:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:

Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> writes:

more than one text-editor (you've listed two) does syntax-highlighting
for autoconf scripts, is scriptable, and can run subprocesses (emacs and
vim aren't IDEs, however - though there are _probably_ scripts for each
which do specific subtasks).

I think the point is that "IDE" is hard to define.  As I noted in my
that Emacs doesn't have.  (It has an integrated source-code debugger, for

For instance tooltips listing structural details (googling shows comments that that emacs has a way to present a hint of that information, in a less effective way, so someone dubbed it "tooltips" ;-)

For example

        http://www.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/info2www?(emacs)Tooltips

isn't describing the feature that IDEs commonly have nowadays.

instance.)  It just doesn't put them together and present them in the way
that most IDEs on, say, Windows would.

oh... does emacs show class diagrams reconstructed from source code? (I might have missed that looking at the program itself, but googling shows me ways that emacs can communicate with external tools that do this, but that's not per definition).

An IDE is just that: an _integrated development environment_, not simply
a combination of closely related tools.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net