Re: iterating over arguments

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: iterating over arguments
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:17:37 +0000 (UTC)

Sam Steingold <sds <at> gnu.org> writes:

> >> (drop m4_popdef, replace m4_pushdef with m4_define)
> >
> > m4_pushdef/m4_popdef is nicer than m4_define, in that your use of the macro
> > name becomes a local variable (you aren't corrupting state if anything else
in
> > the configure.ac happened to use the same name for an unrelated macro).
But
> > m4_define works all right if you have no reason to suspect that the macro
name
> > will ever collide.
>
> interesting.
>
> I thought that I was modifying a local variable.

In the case of m4_foreach_w([cl_feat]), yes, you happen to be modifying a local
variable after all, since m4_foreach_w is doing a m4_pushdef/m4_popdef of
cl_feat under the hood.  But it's nicer to get into good habits, rather than
relying on internal implementations.

> m4_foreach_w([cl_feat], [$1],
> [ m4_define([cl_feat], ...) ])
>
> leaks cl_feat outside of m4_foreach_w?

If we ever change how m4_foreach_w is implemented, such that cl_feat is no
longer managed by an invisible m4_pushdef/m4_popdef, then yes, your raw
definition of cl_feat would leak.  On the other hand, by doing the m4_toupper
up front, then you aren't changing how cl_feat is modified under the hood, and
can guarantee no leak even if we change our implementation.

> > m4_foreach_w([cl_feat], m4_toupper([$1]),
> > [AC_CACHE_CHECK([for cl_feat in CLISP], ....
>
> even better! will use this!

Glad you agree.

--
Eric Blake