Re: Autoconf and Automake support for ObjC++

From: Peter Breitenlohner
Subject: Re: Autoconf and Automake support for ObjC++
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:07:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Eric Blake wrote:

According to Peter Breitenlohner on 7/22/2009 12:46 AM:
attached is a patch implementing autoconf support for ObjC++.  As expected
this was extremely straightforward and only marginally intrusive.

I've applied it with only minor modifications (for merge conflict
resolution), and would appreciate you checking that it still works well
with your pending automake patch.

Hi Eric,

thanks. I'll look into this during one of the next days.  The only merge
conflict I saw were, however, just lines preceding the actual change.

There are no tests for ObjC, thus none for ObjC++ either.  I think
eventually some such tests should be added.

Agreed, but as I am less familiar with ObjC++, I'm hoping you'll help fill
in some of the gap, here.

Well, my knowledge of ObjC and ObjC++ might be even more limited (my main
interest is the TeXlive build system that uses such files -- if and only if
building for darwin).

Anyway, it may be difficult to cook up ObjC and ObjC++ examples that can be
compiled and linked with all sort of compilers (on darwin as well as
non-darwin systems).  But as a minimal test one might ensure that the
switching to/from ObjC++ works (as now in '260: AC_LANG_OBJC' under 'Testing
autoconf/c macros') and that the appropriate variables get substituted or
some such.

I must, however, admit that I don't understand where the majority of these
tests originate.  This mostly looks quite miraculous to me.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <address@hidden>