Re: Portable way to achieve 'ls -v' ?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Portable way to achieve 'ls -v' ?
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 08:34:07 +0200

Hello Rhys,

* Rhys Ulerich wrote on Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 08:33:34PM CEST:
> Any suggestions for how to achieve sort-by-version in a portable way?
> 'ls -v' does exactly what I need, but doesn't look to be a standard
> argument.

Recent Autoconf has m4_version_compare for a comparison at autoconf run
time, and AS_VERSION_COMPARE for one at configure run time.  gnulib has
a module strverscmp for C comparison code.

IIRC there were slight, probably unintended differences in the
comparison algorithms; or at least, some bugs have been fixed in the not
too distant past.

HTH.