Re: checking for libraries that link but do not run

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: checking for libraries that link but do not run
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 14:09:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Ben Pfaff wrote:

If your advice is correct, then any use of AC_RUN_IFELSE (if any
libraries are added to LIBS) must be incorrect, because Autoconf
does not have the correct knowledge to run a program.  It's hard
for me to believe that, because the Autoconf manual only mentions
problems with AC_RUN_IFELSE when cross-compiling and doesn't say
anything about other pitfalls.

There are many pitfalls associated with running a program. If you do choose to validate that a program will actually run from the build directory with the currently installed libraries, then you need to be prepared for dealing with the pitfalls. :-)

Most configure scripts don't seem to try to run programs. The configure script for my package does run a program for one of its tests.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn