quoting in autoconf

From: Josef Vukovic
Subject: quoting in autoconf
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:09:35 +0100

Hello,

I am reading the autoconf[1] documentation and come to the topic,
3.1.2 The autoconf language where it says " Arguments should
be enclosed within the m4 quote characters ‘[’ and ‘]’..." but m4
uses the '`' and ''' as quoting characters. Also defining a Macro
with:
         define([stdio_h], [HAVE_STDIO_H])dnl

don't work as expected with defining it like this:

         define(`stdio_h', `HAVE_STDIO_H')dnl

So I'm know somewhat confused could someone be so friendly
to explain the issue? Is there a changequote applied during the
processing of configure.ac wiht autoconf? If so isn't the manual
somewhat ambigious?

[1]
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#autoscan-Invocation

cheers