Re: LD not precious?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: LD not precious?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:38:09 -0700

According to Philip A. Prindeville on 1/14/2010 4:39 PM:
>> And the *_TOOL will then cause the right thing to happen if you
>>   ./configure --host=foo-bar-alias
>>
>> (i.e., try foo-bar-alias-ld first, just like with $CC).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ralf
>
> Would be nice if c.m4 contained that...

Why?  The whole point is that you can compile and link a program using
just $CC, so LD should not be needed in those cases.  It is only desirable
to mark it precious in the cases where LD will be used in addition to CC,
but since that should not be the default for all packages, then the
packages that WANT to use LD should be the ones responsible for marking it
precious.  I don't see anything wrong with autoconf's current behavior.

Eric Blake             address@hidden