finding the value of a preprocessor symbol

From: David Byron
Subject: finding the value of a preprocessor symbol
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:38:03 -0800

Let's say I have a header file named foo.h that contains:

#define FOO an_interesting_value

(I think) I'm looking for a macro like this:

AC_GET_VALUE([foo.h],[FOO])

that populates ac_cv_value_of_FOO with an_interesting_value

Does such a macro exist?  Apologies if this is a FAQ.  I can think of a way
to do this by compiling a program that writes the result to a file, but that
seems complicated and a struggle when cross-compiling.

Thanks for your help.

-DB