Re: PACKAGE_URL

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: PACKAGE_URL
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:33:35 -0400

Patrick Welche wrote:
This almost ties in with the previous post about old versions of autoconf(!)

In recent autoconf >= 2.64, I can use AC_INIT to define a PACKAGE_URL. As some
of our systems only have 2.61, I thought I would

# This becomes part of AC_INIT in autoconf 2.64
PACKAGE_URL="http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/";
AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED([PACKAGE_URL], ["$PACKAGE_URL"],
                   [Define to the home page for this package.])
AC_SUBST([PACKAGE_URL])

but now I see that with e.g. autoconf 2.65, the fact that I only use an
AC_INIT with 4 arguments means that PACKAGE_URL is defined to "", so
my definition redefines PACKAGE_URL and then autoconf tests are unhappy
because cpp will complain about two PACKAGE_URL variables...

What is the best thing to do?

I use the following snippet in one of my projects:

dnl FIXME remove when we assume autoconf 2.64
m4_ifndef([AC_PACKAGE_URL],
         [AC_DEFINE([PACKAGE_URL], ["http://dev.thep.lu.se/svndigest";],
                    [Define to home page for this package])
          AC_SUBST([PACKAGE_URL], ["http://dev.thep.lu.se/svndigest";])])