AC_PROG_CC_C99 and AC_OPENMP

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: AC_PROG_CC_C99 and AC_OPENMP
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 15:34:55 -0400

Dear Fellow Autoconfers,

I have just tried to build one of my autotools-based projects on a
machine with Autoconf 2.59 [1], and it does not recognize

AC_PROG_CC_C99
AC_OPENMP

as you can see here:

/netscr/adamsonj/haploid: Wed May 05> libtoolize
Remember to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' to `configure.ac'.[2]
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.
/netscr/adamsonj/haploid: Wed May 05> cat /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 >>
aclocal.m4
/netscr/adamsonj/haploid: Wed May 05> aclocal
/netscr/adamsonj/haploid: Wed May 05> mkdir m4
/netscr/adamsonj/haploid: Wed May 05> autoreconf -vi
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal -I m4
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
configure.ac:31: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use
      m4_pattern_allow.

      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:37: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_CC_C99
configure.ac:52: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_OPENMP
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
/netscr/adamsonj/haploid: Wed May 05>

I added a file called "emerald.m4" to the m4 directory containing

m4_pattern_allow(AC_PROG_CC_C99, AC_OPENMP)

and autoreconf runs just fine.  However, during the configure stage I
get these errors:

./configure: line 3115: AC_PROG_CC_C99: command not found
./configure: line 19094: AC_OPENMP: command not found

meaning the macros are not expanded when ./configure is written
(right?).  However, when I compile, I still get the -lgomp flag.

When were these macros added and what's the best solution for me here?

Thanks,

Joel

Footnotes:
[1]  Local development is with version 2.63

[2]  I remember doing this when I first wrote configure.ac and it said I
should replace it with LT_INIT which is what I have, but then the older
version complains; I suppose this makes sense.

--
Joel J. Adamson
Servedio Lab

FSF Member #8164