Re: cross-compiling but keeping one target native

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: cross-compiling but keeping one target native
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 21:14:37 +0100

On Saturday 15 May 2010 18:52:10 Natalie Tasman wrote:
> I have one target which is actually a utility used during *build*
> time. Is it possible to specify one target which should *not* be
> built with the cross-compiler, but natively instead?

I faced a similar problem, when I autoconfiscated `man' for a port to
MinGW; (I also cross-compile, using MinGW's own GNU/Linux-hosted tool
chain).  The solution I adopted was much as you are considering...

> I've considered creating a separate config.ac/Makefile.am for this
> one executable, but am hoping to find a simpler solution.

This was the first ever project on which I used autoconf, so it
certainly isn't a shining example of best practice.  I used a
separate sub-directory for the natively compiled tools, with it's
own configure.ac and Makefile.in, and set it up so that their
resultants are invoked from the top level.  If you are interested in
how I did it, you can find the project source at:
http://mingw.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mingw/man/

(the `tools' directory hosts the natively compiled code, and the
MAN_AC_CONFIG_NATIVE([tools]) macro integrates it into the top level
build system, via its configure.ac).

--
HTH,
Keith.