m4 quoting and autoheader

From: Adam Mercer
Subject: m4 quoting and autoheader
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:33:42 -0500

Hi

One of the platforms I _need_ to support for development is CentOS 5,
which comes with very old versions of the autotools:

m4-1.4.5-3.el5.1
autoconf-2.59-12
automake-1.9.6-2.1
libtool-1.5.22-7.el5_4

I have tried to get approval to update to more recent versions to no avail.

I am currently running into the following problem when I rebuild the
build system using autoreconf:

autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_LIB[]uppercase[]
autoheader: Use AC_DEFINE([HAVE_LIB[]uppercase[]], [], [Description])
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoheader failed with exit status: 1

The macro that produces this error is of the form:

AC_DEFUN([LALSUITE_TEST],[
  define([uppercase],translit($1, "a-z", "A-Z"))
  AC_DEFINE([HAVE_LIB[]uppercase[]],[1],[Define to 1 if you have the
$1 library])
])

this is a simplified version of the macro I'm using, but illustrates
the problem.

If I locally update to the latest versions of autoconf and automnake
the build works, but not using the system autoconf and automake. Is
there a way I can work round this issue with these old autotools
versions?

Cheers

Adam