Re: Factoring out common code from 2 programs into new library

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Factoring out common code from 2 programs into new library
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 21:20:55 +0200

Hello David,

* David Bruce wrote on Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 03:22:33AM CEST:
> (this is more of a general autotools/packaging question than a
> specific autoconf issue - please advise if there is a better list for
> this).

Well, you touch Automake and Libtool issues, but moving to one of their
lists won't really make that much of a difference, I guess.

> As it stands now, the "tarball" installation procedure is:
> 1. Unpack libt4kcommon, "./configure; make; sudo make install"
> 2. If needed, update /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf and re-run ldconfig
> to make sure the path used in #1 will be recognized
> 3. Unpack tuxmath (or tuxtype) and do "./configure; make; sudo make install"
>
> Of the above, #2 seems most likely to be a problem for our users.

Well, if you use libtool, the idea should be that either you install the
library into a location found by the link editor and runtime linker by
default, or you pass appropriate -L flags to the other packages so that
the link editor will find the just-installed library.  If the libtool
.la file is not installed, then you may have to pass flags like -R for
setting the runtime path as well, otherwise libtool should pick those
appropriately for you.

The 'ldconfig -n' run during the 'sudo make install' step *should* let
ld.so find the just-installed library automatically; of course that only
works with directories which are already searched by default.

> Is there a standard way to make a single tarball (perhaps nested) that
> will install both the lib and the program with a single "./configure;
> make; sudo make install", and make sure the location of the lib will
> be recognized by the system? Or is the above procedure about as simple
> as we can expect it to be for those who install from source?

Well, I guess you can make a small super-package that does at least some
of the above steps I outlined automatically.  If you need help, please
post what you have there and what doesn't work.  Actually, please also
post if you have something that works for you.  Thanks.