Re: Autotools book published

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: Autotools book published
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:06:29 -0600

 On 7/27/2010 9:44 AM, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> Is this book published under a free documentation license?

Hi Alfred,

To be totally honest, I'm not really sure. That may sound funny, but
I've been afraid to push this issue with No Starch Press because I had
to search long and hard for a publisher that would take on the project
to begin with. For some reason, book publishers don't think people want
to learn about the Autotools!

I did mention a desire to have it licensed in this manner, and they
seemed initially amenable to the idea, but when my contract came, it was
full of clauses that indicate that I'd better not try to do anything
that might inhibit book sales - and that makes sense because publishers
are certainly in the business for the money.

The initial text is still out on FreeSoftwareMagazine.com, and I've been
meaning to at least go out and fix the lies I've discovered in that
version during the last couple of years.

Regards,
John