AC_PROG_INSTALL does not trigger install-sh availability

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: AC_PROG_INSTALL does not trigger install-sh availability
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 23:32:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

using a configure.ac file with just four lines:

AC_INIT([foo], [1])
AC_PROG_INSTALL
AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT

I can produce a configure script by running `autoreconf -fi`, however,
running the then-created ./configure leads to:

configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in "."

On IRC it was suggested to add in AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE; however, I am not
planning on using automake for this sample.
Why did autoreconf not copy install-sh? This looks a little like a bug.
:)

thanks,
Jan