Re: what is $ac_t ?

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: what is $ac_t ?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:23:23 +0200

Sam,

> checking for getrlimit declaration... (cached) install-shextern int getrlimit
> (enum __rlimit_resource, struct rlimit *);

In all macros that I wrote, you can replace

AC_MSG_RESULT([${ac_t:-
         }...])

with

AC_MSG_RESULT([
         ...])

Like it was done in iconv.m4
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=commitdiff;h=c9656c46525e79547e2ffe10130e0e8e013e169c>

> 1. optional: what is the history of the matter?

In older versions of autoconf, ac_t was set to newline + 9 spaces.
Later it was undefined.
Now it got the value 'install-sh' in some cases.

> 2. required: is there a replacement for ac_t or should it be dropped?

It can be dropped, and a hardcoded value can be used instead. The newline +
9 spaces should lead to this output:

checking for getrlimit declaration... (cached)
         extern int getrlimit (enum __rlimit_resource, struct rlimit *);

Bruno