Re: inadvisable to have configure script send me an email when user runs

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: inadvisable to have configure script send me an email when user runs it?
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:20:13 -0600

On 10/18/2010 01:29 PM, Ed Hartnett wrote:
I thought I would add a --disable-unidata-email parameter to disable the
email attempt. (Which I would use myself with nightly testing.)

Rather than making automatic email built in to your configure script (which would indeed be unusual, and IMHO violates the principle of least surprise, particularly for someone running configure behind a firewall where you should be able to build software without external network access), have you instead considered just using autobuild and requesting that users contribute their results to an autobuild collection email address? http://josefsson.org/autobuild/

In other words, while it is a nice goal to request user feedback, the onus for providing that feedback should be on the user, rather than forced on them by the configure script; but the configure script can make it easier by providing sufficient output to make it very easy to collect reported results. Several GNU projects are using autobuild to increase their coverage of successful and failed build reports across a large number of systems. If you still want to add such functionality directly into your configure script, then may I at least suggest that you default it to off rather than on, so that you only trigger outgoing mail when explicitly requested by the user.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682