Re: Enforcing cross-compilation

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: Enforcing cross-compilation
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:58:02 -0500

On 2011-01-13 16:44 +0100, David Nečas wrote:
> I cross-compile for win32 using the mingw32 cross-compiler toolchain but
> I *can* run the created excutables as I have wine installed.  So
> configure concludes I am not cross-compiling and this leads to various
> problems later.

>From the autoconf manual (emphasis mine):

  [The build, host, and target] default to the result of running
  config.guess, unless you specify either --build or --host. In this
  case, the default becomes the system type you specified.
  ***If you specify both, and they're different, configure enters cross
  compilation mode***, so it doesn't run any tests that require execution.

  Hint: if you mean to override the result of config.guess, prefer --build over
  --host. In the future, --host will not override the name of the build system
  type. Whenever you specify --host, be sure to specify --build too.

--
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)