Re: ax_prefix_config_h.m4 causes files to be left after "make distclean"

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: ax_prefix_config_h.m4 causes files to be left after "make distclean"
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 20:18:56 +0100

* David Bruce wrote on Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 04:16:34PM CET:
> >   DISTCLEANFILES = _configs.sed esio/esio-config.h
>
> Thanks - I had come up with another workaround, which was to manually
> add the offending files to be removed in distclean-hdr:
>
> # If using AX_PREFIX_CONFIG_H, distclean leaves some files so get rid
> of them (HACK)
> distclean-hdr:
>       -rm -f config.h stamp-h1 _configs.sed t4k_common-config.h

If you need a Makefile.am snippet that does what you want but doesn't
override part of automake's output (yeah, it's not great style to have
an internal helper rule named so non-internally), then please use

distclean-local: distclean-ax-prefix-config-h
distclean-ax-prefix-config-h:
        rm -f _configs.sed t4k_common-config.h

Using the -local targets is the recommended way to extend targets, and
using a helper target avoids duplicate rule definitions if someone else
wants to extend the -local target as well.

The AX_PREFIX_CONFIG_H macro could distribute a fragment.am file with a
rule such as above (and the header file name suitably replaced by a
variable which could be AC_SUBSTed).