Re: How do parallel builds scale?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: How do parallel builds scale?
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 14:43:35 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

FWIW I think the cumulative plots make sense when trying to answer the
question “how many packages have a speedup <= X”.

Well, if I'd ask a cumulative question I'd probably rather ask how many
packages have a speedup >= X.  Small but significant difference.

Also, the nature of the packages. For example recursive/non-recursive. Total number of source lines (e.g. from 'sloccount'). Number of objects built per Makefile. Number of Makefiles. Number of libraries linked. Size (as from 'size' program) of final executable files.

Can you please make your hardware specs available?  I've had two 16-way
systems, and one could barely get more than a speedup of 2, while the
other cucked away nicely at 10 or so.

Due to overlapping I/O, it is quite possible for builds to be super-linear. At least that is what I typically see here.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn