Re: simple autoconf question

From: Eric Gorr
Subject: Re: simple autoconf question
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 16:29:08 -0500

On Dec 20, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 12/20/2011 01:35 PM, Eric Gorr wrote:
>
>> However, running this configure script does not result in "hello world"
>> being printed.
>
> Of course not.  m4_warn is a warning _at autoconf_ time.  If you want a
> warning _at configure_ time, then you have to use AC_WARNING.  In
> general, m4_* macros are acted on at autoconf time when doing m4
> processing to create configure, while AC_* macros cause actions when
> running the generated configure.

Interesting.

The autoconf manual indicates that AC_WARNING is obsolete and that one should
use m4_warn instead.

But, yes, given how I was calling things, I missed that the message was being
printed at autoconf time.

As it turns out, AC_WARNING doesn't produce anything in a configure script. For
the simple thing I was trying to do, it appears that AC_MSG_NOTICE is the macro
to use.

Thanks again for your assistance.