Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99 and -std=c99

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99 and -std=c99
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 14:12:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012, 'Chris Hall' wrote:

So, my first question is: am I mistaken in thinking that using
-std=c99 will help, portability-wise ?

It is often expected that requesting a specific standard at compile-time will aid with portability. Usually the results are the opposite of that because the standard requires that interfaces not specified by the standard are not exposed and are therefore not usable. Likewise, if a system does not support the standard, the result is usually utter failure. It is typical that there are multiple conflicting standards supported by the OS and requesting one breaks use of the other.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn