Re: Problems Configuring (C Compiler cannot produce executables)

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Problems Configuring (C Compiler cannot produce executables)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 00:19:35 -0700

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:

>> Also, you should generally not add -Wall -Wextra to the configure
>> flags, and instead add it after configure completes, since many of the
>> tricks configure has to use will result in warnings when you turn on
>> all the compiler warnings, which can confuse configure.

> How can that confuse configure?

> AFAICT, configure seems quite unconcerned with warnings during
> configuration.

I may be misremembering previous discussions here, and the fact that we do
indeed seem to pass -Wall into configure all the time without any trouble
makes me think that I am misremembering, but I thought there were some
checks where (due largely to various broken vendor compilers) configure
had to analyze the compiler output to figure out if things went wrong.

It's possible that I'm conflating this discussion with cases where people
use -Werror, which has more obvious issues.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>