Re: Macros for QNX POSIX environment

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Macros for QNX POSIX environment
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 08:39:54 -0700

On 08/30/2012 04:55 AM, suzuki toshiya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to write a small M4 file including the macros for
> QNX to enable its POSIX features, and want it to be used by
> various packages - is it possible for autoconf package to ask
> for the inclusion of the macro file for proprietary platform?

Show us the patches, and we'll help you decide whether autoconf, gnulib,
autoconf-archive, or some other place would be the best home for the
various probes in your tests (my current suspicion is that autoconf will
be a great home for enabling things like _XOPEN_SOURCE, since that
already happens as part of AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS, whereas more
specific probes like getting stat() to work may fit better as part of
gnulib's stat module, where the macro can also be paired with the
appropriate replacement code).

> Because many basic features (e.g. getpwnam(), stat(), mkstemp(),
> etc) are disabled by default, I wish if the macro checking the
> flags to use them is included in autoconf. But I'm afraid that
> some people may have the objection to inflate autoconf package
> by such files for proprietary platforms.

No need to worry - the entire goal of autoconf is to allow compilation
on as many unix-like platforms as possible, and if there is a way to
make QNX more standards compliant, then it is a candidate for fixing
from within Autoconf.  After all, Autoconf already supports other
proprietary platforms; the goal being to make it possible to configure
and compile free software to allow users of such systems to overcome
some of the limitations of their system.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266