Re: make variable for GPL compliant builds

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: make variable for GPL compliant builds
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 06:09:36 -0600

On 09/02/2012 03:30 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> I have a couple of projects that include some non-GPL friendly code

Such as?

> However, such code is optional and can be disabled
>
> I would like to give people a way to set some variable that excludes all
> the non-GPL stuff, so they can build a re-distributable binary, e.g.
>
>    make GPL_FREE_BINARIES=1 all

That name sounds like you are building a project free from any GPL
modules; a better name might be GPL_ONLY_BINARIES.

> Is there any standard name for such a variable, or has this been
> contemplated?

No, and no.  And such a name would have to be provided by the packages
in question, because it does not sound like it is common enough to be
worth doing in autoconf.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266