Re: generating pc files

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: generating pc files
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:33:45 -0700

Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> writes:
> On Wednesday 19 September 2012 14:03:51 Russ Allbery wrote:

>> That macro has gotten better (it at least doesn't put the user's
>> CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS into the *.pc file like it used to), but I still
>> would not recommend people use it.  By default, it still puts all LIBS
>> into Libs, not Libs.private, which is nearly always wrong and results
>> in excessive, unnecessary shared library dependencies.  And, as
>> mentioned, it doesn't support changing prefix at make time.

> send a patch

Why would I do that when I think the correct thing to do is to generate
the file via Makefile.am?  :)  I disagree with the entire approach, so I
don't have much enthusiasm for trying to fix the fixable bugs in an
approach that I think is basically flawed.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>