Re: RFE: macro for warning at configure-time if CFLAGS includes -Werror

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: RFE: macro for warning at configure-time if CFLAGS includes -Werror
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:40:39 -0600

On 09/19/2012 03:33 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> IMHO the best solution for both package maintainers and people compiling
> software would be:
> - AC_PROG_CC always filters out -Werror

Always filtering seems a bit too strong - I think that filtering -Werror
requires at least some request from the configure.ac writer that
filtering -Werror is intended.

> - when -Werror was filtered out, configure prints a message like
>   "filtering out -Werror during configure"
> - when -Werror was filtered out, AC_OUTPUT re-adds it

Indeed, this is what I would do if the filtering were done.

But maybe I can be convinced that always filtering -Werror from
user-input CFLAGS for the duration of configure makes sense, and agree
with changing AC_PROG_CC to do this automatically instead of requiring
configure.ac consent to the filtering.

At this point, patches would speak louder than words (that goes for me,
as well, since I sparked the debate without any proposed patch).

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266