Re: RFE: macro for warning at configure-time if CFLAGS includes -Werror

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: RFE: macro for warning at configure-time if CFLAGS includes -Werror
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 16:42:34 -0600

On 09/19/2012 04:12 PM, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>  FWIW my opinion as maintainer of several autoconf-using packages is
> that it really should be my decision if -Werror given by user is
> passed to configure tests. However, default could be either way - l
> just need power to override that. I have at least one test that should
> fail if -Werror is going to be used in real software compilation and
> the tested thing is giving warnings.

Agreed; I will also point out that the suggestion right now is to filter
-Werror out of user-passed CFLAGS at compiler-detection time (ie. a
one-time filter at AC_PROG_CC, not a per-compiler-run at
AC_COMPILE_IFELSE), and therefore the rest of configure is free to
(temporarily) re-add it to CFLAGS without that temporary change also
being filtered.  Then, after all configure checks have run, the
user-requested flag will be restored to the CFLAGS passed on to make,
along with any entries appended to CFLAGS during the course of configure.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266