AC_CHECK_ALIGNOF maximum ??

From: 'Chris Hall'
Subject: AC_CHECK_ALIGNOF maximum ??
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 14:08:15 +0100

I hope I am in the right place, if not please direct me !

I have found:

  AC_CHECK_ALIGNOF (type, [includes = ‘AC_INCLUDES_DEFAULT’])

which is quite lovely, as far as it goes... but it does not appear to
tell me the maximum possible alignment.

Of course gcc gives __BIGGEST_ALIGNMENT__ for this.  And I guess other
compilers do something similar...

...but I cannot help feeling that autoconf should cover this, but if
it does, I have failed to find where :-(

Am I looking in the wrong place ?  Is there a standard spell for this
?

Thanks,

Chris